Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pistol Pete Maravich

I have loved basketball since the first time I ever saw people playing the game. When I was in third grade, my father, a football fanatic, placed a hoop and backboard on top of our converted garage, perhaps hoping I would play basketball instead of the voilent game of football. He was correct. From that very moment I would commit every single minute of free time I had to perfecting a gorgeous jump-shot. As far as fundamentals go, I was outstanding.

The only problem I had was finding basketball heroes that looked like me, skinny and pale-skinned. LARRY BIRD became my idol. Then, a summer league coach showed the team a film of PISTOL PETE MARAVICH footage. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He was, and still is, the best dribbler I had ever seen. His jumpshot was flawless. He made the most incredibly difficult passes look routine. He was flashy before that was acceptable, but he was hard to criticize because nobody could stop him. He was just unbelievable. But was I just overly impressed because of my youth and love for the game?

Recently I found a highlight video of Pistol Pete, like the one I had watched as a kid, and it confirmed my belief that he was one of the best players of all time. Watch as he kills everyone trying to guard him, it's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Rob-

    Thanks for the link. Yeah, I saw that video a week ago and it still is - as you say - amazing. Plus the new book, MARAVICH, is an excellent read. Although I would rather watch footage of Pete than read about his life.
    My favorite pass might be the 75-foot underhand strike. Incredible.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:27 PM

    He's even killing Wilt!

    ReplyDelete