Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dr. Strangehoops, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Lebron

I love LEBRON JAMES. I love how he plays this game, how he is representing the new wave of basketball superstars, and how he handles himself in front of an audience. But I hate hype. I hate how James was attracting media attention in the 8th grade. I hate that he was pictured on magazine covers in high school. I hate that he has an enormous tattoo on his back that reads “CHOSEN 1” as though he is the Dali Lama reincarnate. And I hate it when hyperbole-smacked sports guys wonder out loud if LeBron James is better than MICHAEL JORDAN (he’s not.)

I want to rebel against my instincts. I want to be a contrarian, and I want to fight the hype. I want to believe that STEVE NASH will lead the Suns to an NBA title and win his third straight MVP award (it’s possible.) I want to believe that TIM DUNCAN will be healthy all year and win his third MVP award (also possible.) And I want to believe that KOBE BRYANT will average 50 points per game and force the anti-Kobe establishment to give him the MVP trophy (not likely.)

I just hate hype so much. But I can’t fight it. LeBron James will be named the Most Valuable Player at the end of this NBA this season, and he should. He scores, he rebounds, he passes, he smiles, and he wins with a mediocre supporting cast in Cleveland. There is no avoiding the inevitable. I have seen the future, and it’s 6’8, wearing a Cavaliers jersey, and holding a MVP trophy. There, I said it, and I feel much better now. Maybe I shouldn’t sweat the hype anymore. Maybe I should title this commentary: DR. STRANGEHOOPS, OR, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE LEBRON.

1 comment: