Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Best Dunk Ever!

Do you remember the best dunk you've ever seen in person? As a lifelong UNLV Runnin' Rebel fan (and Las Vegas native) I can honestly say that the greatest dunk I ever saw happened at the Thomas and Mack Center. But for almost 20 years it lived as just a vague memory, filed away deep in my mind. Then, after all these years, I found it on YouTube. I couldn't believe it and I couldn't be happier to see it again.

It was around 1989 and I had attended virtually every home game for years. Then one night, our 6'8 center -- JARVIS BASNIGHT, broke free on the wing with the ball in his hands. He had good ball-handling skills so we weren't worried about a turnover, but he was moving super fast and a defender set himself to take a charge under the basket. Then it happened. Basnight elevated, and kept rising. He lept completely over the defender for a dunk, leaving me and 18,000 other fans with an extraordinary basketball memory. And now, here is that play for you to enjoy:

1 comment: